Altitude sickness occurs when the body does not adjust or "acclimate" itself to changes in elevation. This usually occurs above 8000 feet. Sleeping above 8000 feet, & exerting yourself physically increases the risk of altitude sickness.
Symptoms of altitude sickness are.
Those at most risk live at elevations below 3000 feet and travel above 8000 feet.
- Irregular Sleep
Sun Burn / Wind Burn
Snow reflects sunlight, so its very easy to get sunburnt and with low
ammounts of moisture in the air its also easy to get wind burn.
Symptoms of Sunburn / Wind Burn
- Feverish Feeling
- Dry, Rash, or Peeling Skin
High Altitude Diet|
- Drink Fluids (Water & Juice)
- Avoid Large Ammounts of Caffeine
- Ascend in elevation slowly
- Eat Carbs (pancakes, rice, pasta)
- Reduce fat intake
- Avoid Alcohol & Sleeping Pills
(at least the first 2 days)
- Aspirin or Tylenol for Headache
- Benadryl for Nausea
- Aloe Gel for Windburn/Sunburn
|Tip: Chapstick with SPF can be used on the face to prevent sunburn and windburn.|